Calendar

The green table is moving! I'll begin posting again after we're all set up in our new home!






Saturday, May 12, 2012

Breakfast Cookies for Mommy



For the last few nights, as I've tucked Adelae into bed, she has whispered, "cookies for breakfast mommy?"    

Fortunately, I recently pinned Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe for breakfast cookies on my Pinterest board. 

Correction, I have recently pinned many of Chocolate Covered Katie's recipes on my pin board - and they've all been wonderfully nutritious and delicious! Andy likes her Carrot Cake Milkshake.  Pete swims in her Chocolate Oatmeal (sans chocolate chips) each morning.  I love her buttery, crunchy crusted Oatmeal Muffins.  Adelae can't get enough of her Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies!

Imagine my delight when Andy suggested making me breakfast for Mother's Day!  You guessed it.  Sweet Adelae suggested her new favorite, breakfast cookies.  Lucky for Andy, the recipe is a snap. 

Here's my variation from Katie's original recipe. Most of her chocolate covered recipes are often a single serving and need to be doubled or quadrupled for a family.

Breakfast Cookies
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup almond butter
1 mounding cup oatmeal
2T homemade chocolate chips (click here for the link)
4T dried apricots, diced
2T unsweetened coconut flakes (I like to buy them from the Fresh Market)
dash of salt
splash of vanilla
2T granular stevia or sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F
cream the applesauce and almond butter
add the rest of the ingredients, stir well
drop small mounds onto a greased cookie sheet
bake for 15 minutes
makes 2 dozen small cookies


As a bonus - for the first time ever - Andy brought me a cup of coffee, just the way I like it - iced (it's Florida), with lots of milk - in bed! I got to sit in bed, researching and sipping coffee for a luxurious hour while Andy and Adelae made breakfast! Along with my cookies, they put together a pretty fruit salad of green apples, blueberries, and blackberries.

Mother's day isn't a church festival, but mothers and the vocation of mother are a blessing from the Lord.  Love, joy, compassion, patience, forgiveness - God mercifully gives us many good gifts through mothers.  Here is a nice little prayer from the Lutheran Book of Prayer.  I love the first paragraph best!

Mother's Prayer
Dear Lord, I am grateful for the gift of motherhood.  I do confess, however, that my many duties and cares for my family often leave me weary and worn out at the end of the day. At times I become irritable and fretful.  I do not seem to have sufficient time for rest and for the relaxed association a mother needs with her husband and family.

Give me strength and health required to perform all of my obligations as a Christian mother. Fill me with deep affection for my husband and children.  Grant our family Your Holy Spirit, so that we grow together from day to day in Your love and that we order and shape our lives with wisdom according to your will.  Make me a worthy example of a Christian mother, and let many see in our home the joy of a family in which father, mother, and children dwell together in Christ.

Continue to assure me of Your grace through Christ, my Lord and Savior, who honored His mother in the very hour in which He gave His life on the cross for me and all men.  Thank you, Lord, for the gift of children and motherhood.  Amen.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment